Friday, April 13, 2012

Lake Fork Lures: Fork Frog Review



                               Fork Frog:   Colors: 9    Size: 4"    Pack Count: 5
                                  leg Style: Buzz             Scent: Garlic

Intro:

If you read my initial review of this frog from last season (see below) you may remember that I compared it to an alien of sorts. Well, that opinion has not changed much, but I do have some new thoughts to share on a yet another very interesting product in the Lake Fork Line-up



Overall Rating: 7.0/10
Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Castability, Presentation, Hook-up Ratio Available Options, Product Availability & Price

Quality: 4.0/5

Wether you like a bait or not, quality is quality, and Lake Fork Lures makes a quality bait. This frog is equipped with a wide durable body that holds up well for multiple fish, and the legs are long and soft yet still take a beating.

I have said it before and I will say it again, these are the most heavily scented baits I have ever fished, we are talking about some serious Garlic.. You remember the classic "grumpy old men" trick of putting a dead fish under your buddies car seat, try using one of these baits instead,  it will get you the same result, just not as messy of a clean-up

Castability: 3.5/5

The Fork Frog casts pretty well, I think the Alien body design allows it to travel well. The large flat body surface also makes this a great frog for skipping up under  cover.

Again, it is not the best casting frog in my arsenal, but I have no complaints either.

Presentation: 3.0/5

Ok, here is where Im really split, I like to move my frogs pretty fast (most of the time) but this frog really excels as a slow moving frog. So if I was to rate it on how I want to use it.. I would have to give it a 2.5/5, but, on the other hand if Im rating in on how the frog was designed to be fished (slower) I would have to give it a 3.5/5.. so to be fair I landed right in the middle at 3.0/5

The body of the Fork frog may have been designed to move fast, but the legs just cant keep up (in mu opinion). The body/head of the bait has a large flat base, that cuts and wobbles nice on a fast retrieve. My issue is, the legs are long and thin, and on a speedy retrieve they nearly collapse in on themselves, and dont give off the churn or motion im looking for.

That being said, if you slow down your retrieve, the body will continue to  give off that great wobble, and the legs are able to kick with the best of them.  


Hook-Up Ratio: 4.0/5

For a relativly small frog, this bait has a decent profile. If you fish it slow, not only will the fish get a good look at it, but they are also less likely to miss. The long thing legs collapse well, and wont get in the way of your hook. If you are missing fish, dont blame the bait, the Fork Frog was designed well, to ensure the hook finds a home. Equipped with a belly slot, and a hook placement marker, this frog pretty much screams "insert here".

Availability: 3.0/5

Unless you are prowling the larger retailers in Ontario, you wont often come across Lake Fork lures, and it is a shame, as they make some of the coolest most unique baits on the market. If you dont have one of the big box stores close by and you cant find them locally, you will have no issue finding them on-line. You can buy direct from LF or from other giants like the Bass Pro Shop and Tackle Warehouse

Options & Price: 3.5/5

Lake Fork sits right on the border line when it comes to options and price. With 9 colors options you cant really complain about your choices (watermelon red/pearl is pictured above). But coming in at about $.99 a bait they are sitting right on the edge of what I like to pay for soft plastics (and that does not include shipping if you have to buy on-line)


Where to Find:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.

Lake Fork Lures ($4.99)
You have some pretty good choices here, and some fairly competitive pricing. All of thee above with the exception of the Bass Pro shop, carry the complete color line-up. As usual, you will pay slightly more when buying direct.

Equipment:

This question may be better answered by Lake Fork Lures owner Mark Pack, rumor has it he is an avid Dobyns rods user (wink, wink). But for me, I have been throwing this frog on my Dobyns 735c, it has the perfect mix of strength and agility for swim frogs.  Like many of my swim frogs it will get a turn on a Dobyns 744 this year to see just how that rod reacts.

Hook size is very important with this frog, going to short or to long will either effect the swim or your hook-up ratio. Use the marker on the back of the frog to make sure you are using the proper size. Me I like to run with a 4/0 EWG hook or 4/0 Zoom horny toad hook

Here is a link to my original take on this frog from last season. As you can see it has not changed much, I'm still no where near ready to write it off, but It still didnt make my top 5 either. 





No comments:

Post a Comment