Monday, June 25, 2012

Yum Money Frog Review



Money Frog:    Colors: 6     Size: 3.75"    Weight: N/A   Pack Count: 4

Leg Style: Buzz            Scent: N/A

Intro:

The YUM money frog was one of the later editions to the fairly success "money" line of baits. This includes baits like the YUM Money Hound, and of course the YUM Money Craw. I was blown away by the craw and it is still an important part of my arsenal.. the YUM money hound and frog on the other hand, just did not hit the mark in my eyes. Both are hard to work properly and have relatively low hook-up rations compared to other baits in this category


Overall Rating: 5.6/10
Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Castability, Presentation, Hook-up Ratio Available Options, Product Availability & Price

Quality: 3.5/5

Since this is one area of the review that will actually be positive, I will start off by saying, YUM makes a good product. The quality of this bait is not in question, the plastic is very durable, the legs will hold up well for multiple strikes and wont be easily ripped off by an aggressive fish. The color selections are few, but interesting to say the least. I like the light colors bellies applied to most frogs and the red nose and dots give off a great target



Castability: 3.0/5


Im up in the air on this one. The Money frog has some decent weight and casts pretty well. Controlled landings are not as easy with this frog, and it often twists and turns in the air which means on occasion it will land upside down.

Presentation: 2.5/5


Where to start.. lets do a good, bad and ugly scenario..

The good, this product is well built and the legs kick and thump and churn some serious water

the bad, I have a hard time finding the proper rate of retrieve on this bait, to slow and the thick legs dont  do what they are built to do, and two fast the frog actually dives a bit. 

The ugly, this frog does not fish straight at all, it rolls and spins more then any soft plastic frog I have ever used. Im constantly fixing the hook and re-rigging trying to get it to swim properly and often I just give up and rip in off my line. 

The body thickness is also an issue when it comes to hook choices, they recommend a 5/0 but I found it to be a bit long, and when down sizing I find the thick body gets in the way of the gap that should be present when using a EWG hook




Hook-Up Ratio: 2.5/5


The Money frog is built with some serious plastic, the body and legs and very thick and although durable, the excess plastic can and will effect your hook-up ratio. Unlike softer bodied frogs this bait will not ball up, and will make it harder for you to slam the hook home. 

I also have issues burying the hook point when fishing heavy cover. Often I have to bury it deep with will effect the hook-up ratio, but if only skin hooked it comes loose easily and gets caught up effecting your retrieve.



Availability: 3.0/5


The Yum line of products is pretty readily available in the market place.. the Money series of baits took off a few years back and could be found in most major retailers large or small. But more recently with the launch of F2 Line the focus has shifted from the Money series and the baits are harder to find. (other then the money craw that has moved into the main line of Yum products.. thankfully) 


Options & Price: 2.5/5


The Yum money frog strikes out when it comes to both of the above categories, limited color selection and a hefty price tag just add to the growing list of "cons" when it comes to this Frog. On average you can expect to pay $7 for a 4 count bag, that works out to $1.75 a frog.. ouch

As you can see below Lurenet has the Money frog listed at a drastically reduced price, this leaves me to believe they have discontinued it, so if you want to get in a test drive one, then Lurenet is the place to start


Where to Find:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.


Bass Pro Shop ($7.49)

LureNet ($2.99)

It is interesting to note that Im having a hard time finding this product on YUM's page let alone any other retailers. Most the of the usual suspects dont carry the "money frog" even if they carry other products in the Yum or money lines. 

Equipment:

I tested this frog out on both my Dobyns 735c and 736c, it can be fished with either, if I was going to choose one and only one, I would use the 735c as it has the backbone needed but a bit softer of a tip to control your casts.

I will be honest here.. I dont think this frog will make it back out on the boat with me. Too many issues for my liking, and overall a disappointment after how much I loved the Money Craw. I think YUM needs to head back to the drawing board with this one.






No comments:

Post a Comment