Monday, July 2, 2012

Yum BuzzFrog Review (Retired Frog)


Money Frog:   This frog has been retired, no purchase info is available

Leg Style: Buzz            Scent: Salted

Intro:
For those of you who may have noticed, yes, I have now reviewed back to back YUM products. I mainly decided to to do this, because of the beating I laid down on the YUM money frog, and because this second frog is now long retired is still a better product then the current frog available by YUM.. you be the judge, but I for one say "bring back the Buzz frog"


Overall Rating: 7.0/10
Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Castability, Presentation, Hook-up Ratio Available Options, Product Availability & Price

Quality: 4.0/5


The above and below images speak for themselves, the YUM buzz frog is one well designed piece of equipment. It's body was so tuff, that one could argue it was made of tire rubber, and the heavy details and a healthy dose of salt top on this frog make it irresistible to both fish and anglers.. I would go as far as to quality the YUM Buzz frog as a premium grade soft plastic frog. (there are not many of those around)


Castability: 3.5/5

The Yum Buzz Frog's dense body and slender aerodynamic profile make it a breeze to cast. It lands relatively light, but also gives off a nice slap that really draws attention in. The flat bottom makes this frog relatively easy to skip... with practice. 


Presentation: 3.5/5

Ok, so above I ranted about the sweet design and quality of the frog, yet you will notice I cant give it anything above a 3.5 rating for "presentation", and I did kinda wobble back and worth between a 3.0 and the 3.5 I finally landed on.

This frogs gives off great motion in the water.. once it gets going, that being said the stiff legs take a second or two to kick in and you need to keep a pretty steady retrieve to keep it moving well. I also do not like this frogs presentation when paused, it just stiffens back up and sinks.. no motion and not an attractive fall.





Hook-Up Ratio: 3.0/5

The hook-up ratio like with any frog is in the eye of the beholder and will be argued on an angler by angler basis, as you read above I likened the plastic this frog was made with, to car tire rubber.. what does that tell you? it is tuff, and like with all harder plastics it can and will get in the way of your hookset. The wide set legs also make it harder for the fish to get the whole business end of the frog in its mouth, both of these effect the hook-up ratio rating

On the "pro" side, I do really like the "back slot" it allows you to rest the hook in the back of the frog without having to cover the hook point. This is a perk that not many other companies offer in their product lines


Availability: N/A

Since this product was discontinued back in 2010, it will not be an easy find. But be sure to check out ebay as well as local tackle swaps.. they are around, I know because I still have some!

Options & Price: N/A

See above, there is no need to get into color options or price. But when it was available the Buzz frog could be purchased in about 6  color options, and they sold from $5 to $5.99 a pack



Where to Find:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.

Ebay ($$ Priceless)


Videos:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.

Equipment:

I have used this frog on both my Dobyns 735c and 736c, it can be fished with either, but if I was going to choose one, I would use the 735c as it has the backbone needed but a bit softer of a tip to control your casts. I will also recomend giving the 805 a shot as the extra length really helps launch this bait

it is unfortunate that this from was discontinued, and even more so that it was replaced by an inferior product. I look forward to the next YUM frog but as for now, there wont be one in my current arsenal



No comments:

Post a Comment