Monday, September 17, 2012

Snag Proof: Ish Phat Frog Review






Ish Phat Frog:   Colors: 15   Length: 3"  Weight: 0.67oz   Pack Count: 1

Intro:

Im not a huge fan of most Snag proof frogs, believe me, I know Im in the minority here, but they look dated, are made (usually) with a firmer harder plastic then other frogs on the market, and their legs stick out to the side and get in the way.. the Ish Phat frog on the other hand has broke the mould and made me a believer in Snag Proof products 


Overall Rating: 8.7/10
Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Castability, Presentation, Hook-up Ratio Available Options, Product Availability & Price


Quality: 4.5/5

From top to bottom the Ish Phat frog is a quality designed and built frog. The soft plastic body collapses easily but still holds up over multiple fish and structure abuse. The hooks are strong, sharp and well positioned. The new second air chamber is one of the largest improvements, and makes the Ish a nearly unsinkable frog. 

Good color selection but still I cant give it full marks as many other frogs has surpassed it with life like features and markings 




Castability: 5.0/5

 The low profile body design (wide and flat) and hefty body (0.67oz) makes this frog a breeze to cast. It can easily get some serious distance in all weather conditions and I can skip it up under trees or branches with ease. This is one of the best casting frogs I come across and if there is any wind in the forecast it makes it an easy choice to tie one on

Presentation: 4.0/5

The Ish Phat frog works well in both sparse and thick cover. It's body is designed to walk, and walk well it does, but the flat bottom and extra weight make it the perfect heavy cover frog. It sits very well on the pads and fish have a hard time knocking it off. 



Hook-Up Ratio: 4.5/5

The changes made from a traditional Snag Proof frog design to the Ish design were put in place to do one thing.. Improve your hook-up ratio. And they perform as advertised. The slender soft body collapses easily, the hooks are placed well, and grab tight. The Ish frogs legs come off the back of the frog instead of the side and stay away from your hook points. I had great success while fishing with the Ish Phat frog, the softer yet heavier body sits very well in the water and fish just crush it






Availability: 4.0/5

Snag Proof products are readily available in my area, I cant remember the last tackle shop I was in that did not carry their line of frogs. On-line on the other hand, I was surprised to find some of the top guns not offering the Ish Phat frog. I like to do the majority of my shopping at LBF and although they carry some Snag Proof frogs they are not currently carrying the Ish (Bass Pro also does not have it listed on-line although I have seen it in store)


Options & Price: 4.0/5

The price point on this frog is Ok, not good, not bad, and surely not ugly. I would like to see it priced a bit lower, but since there is more at work inside this frog I understand why it is priced higher then frogs like the Booyah Pad Crasher. When it comes to color options there are a total of 15 available colours. Not all stores carry them all, so don't expect to see more then 8 options at most retailers


Where to Find:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.


Snagg Proof ($9.95) 

The Hook-Up ($8.99)




Equipment:

I have been throwing the Ish Phat frog on my Dobyns 736c, and find it to be the perfect rod for this frog. The extra weight  allows you to cast this frog a mile, and this beefy rod makes sure you can get fish out quick. Sunline FX2 frog line in 65lb is what I have been using all season and I have no complaints.






1 comment:

  1. Whats your favorite frog color to use in stained water?

    ReplyDelete