Monday, October 1, 2012

Deps Slither K review

Slither K:   Colors: 6   Length: 2.4"  Weight: 3/8oz   Pack Count: 1

Intro:

The Deps Slither K was a reluctant add to my arsenal, not because I had and issue and concerns with the quality of previous Deps products but more because of it's size. The Slither K is a small profile light weight frog, and personally I prefer my frogs with a bit more meat on them. That being said the Slither K is doing everything it can to change me mind about small profile frogs


Overall Rating: 8.3/10
Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Castability, Presentation, Hook-up Ratio Available Options, Product Availability & Price


Quality: 4.5/5

What can I say, you get what you pay for and believe me the Deps slither K is worth the price of admission. Yes it is a highly expensive frog, but it is a quality bait from top to bottom. 

The body of the Slither K is ultra soft yet very durable, it is equipped with a fur tail instead of the standard silicone/rubber strands. The Fur not only stands up better to use, but it also imparts a better action (in my opinion) 


Castability: 4.0/5

This is the area that I was most surprised by. This little compact light weight frog casts very well. It can be long bombed or flipped up under cover with ease.

I broke some of my own rules and actually started testing this frog during a tournament. I had originally put it on because the lake we were fishing has sparse cover and I wanted to use a frog that moved well. As it turns out the only time I was able to use a frog was in one back bay, but the entrance was blocked by timber. I almost retied in an attempt to get a heavier frog on that I knew would make the distance easily, but instead I gave the Slither K a shot and it did not disappoint. Long casts with ease and I cant complaint about landing a fish on my first cast either

Presentation: 5.0/5

 Damn, does this frog every move. If you are looking for a frog that walks, hops, and even imparts action on the pause, the the Slither K has you covered. It's boat haul design and short frame give it an erratic walk that can be altered with slow or fast retrieves. The slithering fur tail gives this frog some additional action when in motion as well as on the pause. I learned the value of fur while fishing the Furbit, and I think this short tail piece is even an improvement on the furbits longer legs (longer is not always better)


Hook-Up Ratio: 5.0/5

I knew I would be giving this frog a perfect score when it came to the hook-up ration about midway through my second trip with it. At that time I was 8 for 8.. yep you heard that right I landed all 8 of the first 8 fish that blew up on the Slither K, so add the fish from my tournament and the Slither K was 9 for 9 right out of the gate. The first fish I missed was actually my fault and not the frogs, it was a short strike jsut feet from the boat that caught me by surprise and i pulled the frog away way to soon.

What makes the Slither K a great frog from your hook up percentage is three things really... first off the small body is like a 2-bite brownie, it fits easily in the fishes mouth and is really hard to miss. Secondly the body is super soft, it compresses with ease and you wont have a hard time putting that hook home. Last but not least the use of fur over silicone/rubber means there is less junk to get in the way of those hooks .




Availability: 3.5/5

The availability of the Slither K to the Canadian market is slim to none, It is nearly impossible to find locally and when you do the price is over the $20 mark. That being said they are readily available on-line from most of the big guns you count on for quality products.


Options & Price: 3.0/5

Ok, ok, I know, the price point on this bad boy hurts. Coming in at $19.99 there is not really many frogs worth or asking that price point. I think the score reflects the high price point, but still takes into consideration that overall the quality of the frog puts it into an elite category.

When it comes to options the only ones available are color changes. The Deps Slither K comes in 6 color options all of which are fishing catching choices. I opt to carry this frog in the Swampster and Albino colours


Where to Find:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.

Tackle Warehouse ($19.99)

The Hook-Up Tackle ($19.99) 

Land Big Fish ($19.99)

Optimum Baits ($19.99)

All of thee above on-line stores have all 6 color options and are available for the same price point. I have been buying mine direct from Optimum as they are quick and have decent shipping into Canada



Equipment:

I have been throwing the Deps Slither K on my Dobyns 736C, you may think that rod may be a bit much for this small frog, but you will be presently surprised by how easily it casts. The reel of choice has been the Daiwa Advantage but at time I have gone down slightly to the T3 Ballistic, both reels can handle the pressure of frog fishing and after that it comes down to personal preference.

This is my fav frog of 2012 so far, it has not left my rod in weeks and I can safely say it wont be going anywhere any time soon





No comments:

Post a Comment