Monday, July 13, 2015

Sebile Action First Pivot Frog Review

Action First Pivot Frog: Colors: 8  Length: 2 1/2"  inch Weight:  N/A  Pack Count: 1

Intro:

One of the most anticipated frogs from last season this frog performed much better then expected during my testing and to my surprise the areas I though would be a concern were not.. and an area I expected the frog to excel was its short coming... read on


Overall Rating: 7.2/10
Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Castability, Presentation, Hook-up Ratio Available Options, Product Availability & Price


Quality & Durability: 4.5/5

This frog is one tough son of bitch, if it was not equipped with the loose pivoting hook I would have no idea how you would be able to ever get the hookset on a fish. I was also surprised how well the pivot held up fish after fish not to mention banging the frog off timber (and the odd rock)

Castability: 4.0/5

With a dense highly aerodynamic body this frog casts very well, and skips even better. In windy conditions you will have to watch for it doing a alligator death roll in midair, but for the most times and conditions you should have no issue placing this frog wherever you want.




Presentation: 3.0/5

The "action first" in this frogs name is kind of a misnomer.  The Sebile Pivot frog does not walk as well or as easily as most frogs on the market today, and I wonder if it has to do with the rear waited hook that dangles between it's legs. I found you really have to slow down to work this frog and for the most part I opted to do a pulling motion vs the walking motion.

One question I know you want to ask is how well does this frog perform in thick slop or real messy water and the answer is "surprisingly well" I had to clean the frog off no more or less then I would have with any of my favourites.

Tip: the majority of my fish came on the pause, it was rare to get a strike while moving. but those fish that did bite, were pretty damn mad about it.

Hook-up Ratio: 2.5/5

This is where this frog lost a bit of steam for me. The single swinging/pivoting hook really didn't support the claims of a vastly improved hook-up ratio, and in all honestly it was actually inferior to many frogs I have tested. The biggest area of concern was downward striking fish.. I laid a fat goose egg on hooking any fish that hit this frog from above, and was only slightly better from violent strike from underneath.. really what Im saying is that for this bath to be successful I need a nice soft slurp instead of a blow-up.. and wheres the fun in that?


Availability & Price: 4.0

Seville products are pretty widely available in Canada and the Us, so you should have no concerns finding this frog at your local tackleshop or on-line. Price is also pretty awesome, in todays day and age most frogs come in close to $10 a piece so when you see a frog at $6 each, you can't really  complain


Options: 3.5/5

The Pivot frog is only available in one size, but 8 colour options. I actually had a hard time choosing from a colour and although I wish I hadn't gone with this particular colour there is defiantly somthing for everyone.





Where to Find:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.

Sebile  $6.99

Land Big Fish $5.99



Equipment:

All  testing was done on a  Dobyns DX746 it is my go to rod and handles both hollow and soft plastic baits alike. As for reels, the Daiwa Tatual HD is a beast of a frog rod and pairs well with this rod and gives you a nice over sized spool for that added distance and power. Line choice was SunLIne FX2





Field Test Report Card:

Open Water (Sparse Pads): A
Pads (Medium Cover): A
Slop & Grass (Heavy Cover): B

Walk the Dog: B
Popping Action: N/A
Sit/Pause: B-




No comments:

Post a Comment