Monday, August 24, 2015

Stanley BuzzIt Ribbit Frog Review


 Buzz It Frog :      Colours: 10   Size: 3.5" - 4.5"   Pack Count: 1 Blade/3 Bodies    
             Leg Style: Buzz               Weight: N/A


Intro:

The BuzzIt by Stanley Jigs gets most of its street-cred from the original Ribbit frog that is the backbone of the BuzzIt system. Lets face it Stanley makes a great toad/frog, but they leave a lot to be desired when it comes to the terminal portion of this Frog/Buzz bait combo. 


Overall Rating: 6.6/10
Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Castability, Presentation, Hook-up Ratio Available Options, Product Availability & Price


Quality & Durability: 3.5/5


Again, kinda cheating here as the majority of this score comes from the Stanley Ribbit portion of this bait. its a great frog that holds up very well, fish after fish.

As for the hook and buzz blade, I was not so impressed. Sure the hooks is strong and Sharp, but the weighted head seems to counteract the blade and I had a hard time keeping it up and running straight. If I slowed the bait would dip and it i ran it too fast the frog would spin.

Castability: 3.0/5

None of these frogs cast extremely well, like with Buzz Baits the blade can get caught up in the wind and cause some drag. Maybe its just me but I find I need to put some umph into my casts when throwing these baits.


Presentation: 3.0/5

I covered this above, I was not happy with the way this bait ran and had a hard time finding the sweet spot. Often I watched my frog spin or run sideways on the retrieve. If anything I feels as if the Ribbit frog just wasn't built to be fished behind a blade.


Hook-Up Ratio: 3.5/5

No real issues here, obviously the Ribbit frog has a denser beefier body then most soft plastic toads, and the thick kicker legs can get caught up on the hook, but again, these are small issues and all in all this frog performs well when it comes to hook-ups.



Availability & Price: 3.0/5

Not widely available I could only find this frog at Tackle Warehouse, you can also check it out on the Stanley website but I don't believe they sell direct (though I may be wrong). Price point is also pretty decent coming in at between $4.99 (standard) and $6.99 (bully)This price includes 3 frog bodies and 1 blade

Options: 4.0/5

Tackle Warehouse currently lists 10 colour options and two sizes.. the Standard (3.5") and the Bully (4.5"). This options are already pretty decent, but add to that this frog is fully customizable and you can use it with any colour Stanley frog you own, hell you can even rung it with non Stanley baits (you may even get better results)


Where to Find:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.

Tackle Warehouse ($4.99/$6.99)

Stanley Jigs (N/A)



.

Equipment:

I completed frog testing with a Dobyns 734c paired with a Daiwa Tatula.  This requires a rod rated for spinner baits or buzz baits but still needs to beef to hammer away those crazy top water explosions. 




No comments:

Post a Comment