Monday, July 9, 2012

Booyah Pad Crasher Frog Review


Pad Crasher:   Colors: 6     Length: 2 1/2"    Weight: 1/2oz   Pack Count: 1


Intro:

For the last few years the Spro and Live Target Frogs have really taken over the frog market. They have built high end professional grade frogs that perform well in all conditions.. the only problem is they also demand a premium price, but until last year there was no other frog on the market that performed as well.. that is until the Pad Crasher arrived. Booyah has created a very life like, high quality frog that not only keeps up with the big boys, but it also lets you keep your lunch money.

Overall Rating: 8.8/10
Each frog is rated on the following criteria: Quality, Castability, Presentation, Hook-up Ratio Available Options, Product Availability & Price


Quality: 4.5/5

 Im a fan of Booyah baits, they make a quality product and they appear to keep the angler and our wallets in mind when doing so. From what I can tell the Pad Crasher is a quality built frog that seems to be fairly durable. The body of the bait is my only concern, it is super thin, paper thin almost, and although this is great for its hook-up ratio, Im not sure about the durability of the bait. So far I have had it on the water a few times with no issues. but Ill keep ya posted




Castability: 4.5/5

For a frog that I consider to feel light weight, it does come in at the 1/2oz mark. This combined with the slender body make it a dream to cast. The body material is super soft and lands really well, no hard slap but it still lets the fish know it's there.


Presentation: 4.5/5

The Pad Crasher was deisgned as a "walking frog", and it does it's job nicely. The Long slender body helps the frog walk with ease, and still gives off a nice profile without looking bulky


Hook-Up Ratio: 4.5/5

I really like the design of the Booyah Pad Crasher frog, the long slender body and narrow back end really help with your hook-up ratio. The ultra soft material used to built the body is thee softest I have put my hands on, and will pretty much collapse if a fish thinks about striking.

The hooks are positioned nicely and appear to be good quality. This is a frog that you will be able to add a Lake Fork Frog trailer hook on. Again Im not 100% sold on these yet, but they are fun to play with and add an stinger to your frog

Availability: 4.0/5

I find it odd, that a company with the rep and widespread awareness such as Booyah does not have this frog placed in every retail store across the globe. But it doesn't, and you mostly have to look in larger chains if you want to get your hands on one. In the list of on-line retailers below, I only regularly deal with one of them (TW) and even so it is sporadically and only when I cant find what Im looking for in other shops

Options & Price: 4.5/5

The Pad Crasher may not have the color or size selection that it's main competion has, but one thing is for sure, it kicks there ass in the price category. I rank this frog as an elite Hollow body, yet it is priced like it belongs in the bargin bin.. that alone should have given this frog a perfert 5/5.. but as mentioned others like Live Target and Spro, have way more color options as well as sizes available


Where to Find:
In case you are having a hard time finding these locally, here are some reliable options for you.


Bass Pro Shop ($5.99) 

Cabela's ($5.99)



Equipment:

The Booyah Pad Crasher is build well to be fished on a Dobyns 736c. This rod has the right amount of power to pull the hawgs out of cover, and is also a fairly accurate casting rod when throwing Hollow body frogs. Depending on how you like to fish your hollow bellies, I would recommend using 50lb (or more) braided line. Personally I fish these frogs 90% of the time in very thick slop or heavy pads. So make sure your reel can keep up so you can get them out quick.


(Above Pic shows the Pad Crasher with a Lake Fork Frog Tail stinger hook)

8 comments:

  1. Good review, I loooove my Pad Crashers! btw, they are readily available at Dick's Sporting Goods as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx Greg, I have a agree, this is a great bait

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use 40lb braid when i fish frogs, is that ok ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, 40lb braid will do the trick. I know many anglers get up into the 50,60 or even 80lb braid, I think this decision comes down to how pick the hawgs in your lakes are, and what you will be pulling them out of. Personally 40lb braid will get the job done

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what about my rod? i use a 6 foot 6 inch pole.
    people say i need atleast a 7 foot rod or more, but im not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I missed this question (I though I had replied. YOu can frog fish with your 6,6" but a 7fter is better. The longer rod helps you pick up the slack quicker when muscling fish out of cover. I use a 7,3" or 8ft rod for all my frog fishing.

      All in all the backbone or rods power rating is more important then the length

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I think it comes down to preference and conditions. Sometimes I choose the frog on what color I can see best. If Im casting long distance I want to still be able to see the frog coming over the pads, so green and yellow may be out.. and white may be the choice. But in all honestly as long as the belly is white or black I dont care too much about the back color

      Delete